Yesterday we noted that a group of prominent Iraqi women held a press conference in Baghdad to present a number of demands for the new Constitution. Their six demands are listed below, and the full press release is enclosed.
- Islamic Sharia should be one of the sources of law.
- Iraq should abide by all international treaties and agreements that guarantee human rights, women’s rights, the rights of children, and the rights of those with special needs, and consider these treaties and agreements as one of the sources of law.
- Female representation in the three branches of government and in other decision-making positions should not be less than 25% and this provision should not have a time limitation.
- All Iraqi citizens (men and women) must have equal rights in the law and before the law, without any discrimination for any reason.
- The constitution should not include any text that is conducive to national, social, ethnic, gender, and/or religious fanaticism.
- The constitution should ban all kinds of violence against women.
download the press release here.