Phares to the Majority Party of the European Parliament in Paris
Professor Walid Phares delivering his remarks
JIHADIST TERRORISM IDENTIFICATION AND COUNTER STRATEGIES
Executive Summary of the presentation by Professor Walid Phares
The study and analysis of the so-called “Jihadist Terrorism” is highly relevant to European policy makers and citizens because of the impact it has on European Security, Economy and Foreign Policy. The inability to understand and explain this phenomenon has been a major reason behind the strategic failure in containing and reversing the threat which growth continues to expand across the continent.
Three Questions are to be addressed: The Identification issue, the Failure in Perception and Strategic Guidelines.
a. Self Identification: How do the Jihadists identify themselves? From reviewing their literature and doctrines, one can project their future plans and strategies.
b. European Debate on Root Causes: Arguments and Counter Arguments
· Foreign Policy is a root cause: counter argument: Jihadism preceded Western Policies
· Economic Disenfranchisement: counter argument: Jihadists comes from various classes.
· Socio-Psychological Stress: counter argument: true for all communities not for Arabs and Muslims only.
· Theological Debate: Religious texts are being used, but by a "movement" which is orchestrating radicalization.
· Ideological root: The deep force behind Terrorism.
c. A History of Jihadism: From Ideology, Movements and Strategies.
· The 1920s: Salafism, Wahabism and Brotherhoods
· The 1970s: Khomeinism
· Cold War Strategies
· 1990s Strategies
· Current Strategies: In Europe and worldwide.
Europe and worldwide.
2) An Ideological Warfare
1945-1990: The first stage in the Arab and Muslim World
1990-2001: The second stage in the West and in Europe
2001-2008: The third stage: gaining time against Democracy
3) Strategic Guidelines
a. European Priority: Identify the Ideology
b. Explain it to the European Public
d. Encourage Debate within the Arab and Muslim communities in Europe
e. Support Democracy Forces in the Arab and Muslim world
Professor Walid Phares is a Visiting Scholar with the European Foundation for Democracy and the author of the books Future Jihad, The War of Ideas and Confrontation
Chaired by Joseph Daul MEP (UMP, F), the European centre-right parliamentary group concentrated its three working days on the theme of security in Europe: security for citizens, energy security and food security.
The event was transmitted live on the EPP-ED website.